- Research at Western
- - Researcher Development
- - Funding Opportunities
- - Research Grants Awarded
- Preparing a Grant Application
- - Quick Guide for New Researchers
- - Definition of Research
- - Research or Consultancy Activity?
- - Writing a Project Description
- - Track Record Statement
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- - Developing a Budget
- - Budget Justification
- - Contracts and Insurance
- - Research Codes
- - Managing Your Project
- - Data Management and Technology Planning
- Business Services
- Research Integrity and Ethics
- Centralised Research Facilities
- Research Participation Opportunities
- Research Services Update
- Contact us
Preparing a Grant Application
All external research funding applications are to be lodged through Research Services. This ensures legal and administrative requirements are met, including evidence for research workload negotiations.
We also employ a Grant Development Support Strategy (opens in a new window) (login required).
You need to submit your draft application to Grant Services at least five business days prior to the external closing date. In some cases this will be much earlier if there are restrictions imposed by a funding agency.
You also need to complete a Clearance Form
Internal Server Error
Contact the Research Development Officer who specialises in your research area as early as possible so they can assist you with strategic advice, critical feedback, budget development and track record statements to maximise your chance of success.
You can find additional resources such as past ARC and NHMRC successful grant applications (login required) and a list of FAQs in the Grant Development Resource Library (opens in a new window)
For further information, see also Life Cycle of a Research Grant (PDF, 380.45 KB) (opens in a new window)
Research Development Officers
Research Development Officers (RDOs), where applicable, are available to assist in the development of your application.
RDOs will help with:
- Scheme compliance and eligibility
- Draft feedback (subject to sufficient notice)
- Concept pitch development
- Track record advice
- Metrics (researcher report cards)
- Benefit/impact statements
- Support letters
Please visit the Research Services Contacts page for details on the RDO portfolios.