- Future Now | Securing Digital Success 2018-2020
- IT maintenance planned outages
- IT Service Desk
- Email and Related Services
- Western WiFi Wireless Network
- IT Contracts
- Computer Laboratories
- Australian Access Federation
- IT Finance and Procurement
- Service Improvements
- Staff Software Benefits
- Cyber Security
- COVID-19: ITDS Advice, Guides and Support
Western WiFi Wireless Network
Western WiFi is the University's on campus wireless network, provided free of charge to current students, staff, and some associates of the University.
Using their WesternAccount to log in, students and staff on all campuses are able to access the Internet from smartphones, PDAs, iPhones, iPads, Android 4 (or later), Linux based devices, and more.
Western WiFi is available in key campus locations, ensuring coverage is available where most needed:
- rec rooms
- lecture theatres
- most tutorial rooms
- staff meeting rooms
- some outdoor areas
Western WiFi is not available off campus.
When you're within a wireless zone, your device will detect Western WiFi. Connect and login with your student or staff number and password (WesternAccount). Once setup, most devices will reconnect automatically.
What will I need to access Western WiFi?
- A wireless device compatible with 802.11a, 802.11g, or 802.11n standards.
- An active WesternAccount.
- If connecting with a Macintosh computer, you will need administrative user rights to accept the security certificate.
Our MyIT knowledge base (opens in a new window) is the best place to start. The knowledge base has a number of self help articles on connecting to Western WiFi with Windows, MacOS, iOS (iPhones and iPads), or Android (4 or later) devices.
If you've followed the knowledge articles and still can't connect, please contact the IT Service Desk. You can also seek help from the IT Support Analysts located in each campus' general purpose computer lab complex. Due to the large variety of equipment in use, we may not be able to resolve all connection problems.
IT Service Desk
- Phone: 02 9852 5111 (ext 5111)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MyIT Web Portal: MyIT.westernsydney.edu.au (Live Chat available)
Most current phones, tablets, and computers are able to connect to Western WiFi.
- Your device must be compatible with the 802.11g or 802.11a wireless standards.
- Most recent operating systems are able to connect to Western WiFi
- Android devices must be running Android 4 or later.
- For your own protection and security, we strongly recommend using antivirus software.
- Most current web browsers will work.
Network TCP/IP settings
- Must be set to obtain an IP address automatically (normally the default setting).
- You may need to set your computer to use the US keyboard layout (normally the default setting).
What is wireless?
Wireless is simply a way for a our students and staff to connect to the University network, and from there, the Internet, without being physically tethered to a network outlet. As its name implies, you don't need to plug a wire from the back of your device into a network port - freeing you from working in a fixed location. Of course, you'll still need batteries to supply your power - or a long extension lead!
What's the benefit to me?
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
We'd love your feedback on Western WiFi. Positive or negative comments regarding setup, our instructions, technical issues, IT support, network access, services available, or any suggested improvements should be sent directly to email@example.com.